Steps

Steps

Friday, January 8, 2016

Evicting that which I stumble on

Happy New Year 2016

I symbolically ripped off the last calendar page of 2015 and began anew by working through a list of questions from the Chopra group.  List my accomplishments, list my challenges, list what I am grateful for, list what I still want to accomplish...it is kind of like doing an exercise plan or yoga class.  Don't think about it too much and just do it!  This is not the way I spend most of my time, and in reflecting on 2015 that was a problem.

During my first yoga class of 2016, Mary (yoga teacher and wise woman) spoke about the connection between calendar and Kali.  Kali is a goddess not known for happily going with the flow or even caring.


Again, for me, not who I perceive myself to be.  And, I must say, the calendar as a symbol of time has not been happily going with the flow or even caring.  This past year contained many incredibly positive accomplishments (resulting from hard work, but accomplishments they are)

  • Small Steps Go Places ®
  • OPTION PLAY (prototype)
  • ENTER THE CAVE (prototype)
  • Small Steps Go Places Inc.
  • Numerous visits with groups of high school and college students, residential life staffs, guidance counselors, international student orientation providers resulting in lots of feedback about OPTION PLAY
  • ENTER THE CAVE development and game plays
  • Christmas season celebrations!!

and also much loss, hurt, and discomfort:

  • Feather died
  • Gram died
  • Melissa died
  • Health issues for people whom I love
  • Squirrel in my linen closet
  • Crazy people doing and saying startling things
  • NY State escapees
  • Violent world events


  It was balanced many times, for sure.  And, isn't that what I was seeking --- balance?

Which brings me back to the new year...
I have taken ideas, hopes, and dreams and with much work, focus, passion and support turned them into actual things.  Hey, I have a TRADEMARK!!  It is not KLEENEX ® or SKIPPY® but it is way cool to be able to put my ® on Small Steps Go Places ® because that is ME.  
And, I have two PROTOTYPES of GAMES!!  I have to go back to those earlier blog posts and see if I actually thought I would do that.
And, I now have an S-Corp, which means I am an ENTREPRENEUR!

My husband and I share a funny phrase:  It's all Genevieve, all the time...   and that is what this all is.

And, now for the reason for the title:  despite all of this living, working, and all Genevieve, I still am walking around with that unwelcome voice stuck inside of my head that let's me know it is:

  • not enough
  • not real
  • not good
  • not valuable
  • embarrassing
  • too out there
  • unclear
  • not functional, and the list goes on and on.


OK, I know that I am not the only person renting mind space to this most unhelpful voice.  And, I have had more than my share of working with people who have ideas for showing these messages to
 I think it is time to EVICT this unhelpful voice because I think it is time for me to grow and make

THIS IMAGE:                                            INTO SOMETHING MORE PROACTIVE!




THAT IS WHAT I AM TRYING TO DO!!  I have accomplished some things and no one knows about me.  Inviting people to know about me means risking rejection and questions (ugghh) and means I need to state what my goal is (yipes!!).  But, people going to college more prepared to do their own work, and having fun learning about it, is what I am all about!!

So, I am taking a huge risk by saying out in the light that I need to SHARE, TRY, AND EXPERIENCE REJECTION.  Remember, it's all Genevieve all the time so chances are I will figure out how to deal with these things and grow from them.

1.  I want to celebrate the fact that I have made a lot of progress. 


2.  I do not want to just accept others questioning what I do, because as one of the very wise women in my life says "it's an opportunity."  Let me use the opportunity.

3.  I need feedback.  Right now I am wondering what scenarios international students, and students who go to college in a different geographical area from their upbringing, deal with.
It seems to be too difficult to make comments on my blog so send me an email at 

optionplay15@gmail.com.

4.  Are you going to college in the fall, are you a residential life person, a guidance counselor, or a parent trying to help their child be prepared to have a growthful college experience?  Send me an email and I will try to send you a prototype of OPTION PLAY.  I say "try" because sending things domestically works but I do not know about internationally.  That falls under "opportunity."




1 comment: