Steps

Steps

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Once a student gets into college, he or she WILL GO TO COLLEGE

My life has been filled with so many wonderful moments in the last few weeks!  All three of our children have had moments that make my husband and I glow with gratitude and pride.  My mother came for a visit, and to take in some the festivities.  Projects in our life are finally beginning to finalize.  And, I figured out how to send my scholarship video successfully to my former high school!
Also, I have found a student there who will hopefully collect data about the significance of core high school programs in graduates' college experiences.

I have been speaking with so many interesting, valuable people who are working with high school students.  I am still looking for that group who will play ENTER THE CAVE and RISK IT, but in looking I have learned about a growing number of school programs and individuals who are helping students make good choices.  And, good choices incorporate a good fit.  And, a good fit means knowing clients.  In my case

CLIENTS = PLAYERS

I have learned that Public Schools are varied and so the guidance offered to students is varied.  Even at the best public school there are lots of students who require the services and support of often one counselor.  Private Schools often have fewer students and better connections.  Home schoolers focus mightily on finding a great fit, but have to work twice as hard to come up with proof of grades and scores. No matter which type of school a students goes to it is very, very important that students and their families are PROACTIVE in this process.  Being proactive is like being a parent -- there is no time unless you make the time.

And, having spoken with students, teachers and counselors in Public School, Private School, and Home School, I see there is so much focus on grades, test scores and cost.   These are all very important parts of the college application process.  However, my games focus on that part of the journey that is not academic.  Yes, it is great that a student has a 4.0 average or can write an amazing term paper on a very relevant topic.  But, can they do their own laundry or speak up if they are no longer the Big Fish?  

Remember my posting of 8/5/11 (Here Comes the Sun)

"When I was young, and watching a lot of TV, I remember seeing an advertisement for BASF.  Their line was "we don't make things, we make them BETTER."  That struck me then, and it still strikes me.  I am a recycler and a re-user.  I want to help people do what they do MORE EFFICIENTLY or MORE EFFECTIVELY.  Or, I want them to realize the answers are right there among their people, if they could just tilt the focus a little."

Once a student gets into a college he or she WILL GO TO COLLEGE.

Knowing how to create a place to live and study, and communicating with a roommate (ENTER THE CAVE) will become valuable.  And, taking apart possible scenarios to figure out how to deal successfully with them (RISK IT) will help students feel confident.  And, when a student
  • can read themselves
  • develops problem-solving and communication skills
  • and feels confident
this will help their college experience be a good investment, both personally and financially.


Along with looking for players, I have been calling residential life and new student program offices asking for answers to my four important questions.  So far, these are the results:

1) What do Freshmen forget to bring, the most, when moving into their dorm rooms?

SHOWER FLIP FLOPS
CLOTHING APPROPRIATE FOR THE CLIMATE WHERE THE SCHOOL IS LOCATED

2) What percentage of first year students bring TOO MUCH STUFF to their dorm rooms?

ANSWERS RANGING FROM 60-95%   THE REAL QUESTION HAS BEEN WHAT HAPPENS IF THERE IS TOO MUCH STUFF IN THAT SMALL LIVING SPACE.

3) #1 Roommate conflict?

COMMUNICATION, WHICH TAKES THE FORM OF CONFLICTS ABOUT PERSONAL SPACE, FRIENDS' USE OF THE ROOM, DIFFERENT HABITS AND INACCURATE EXPECTATIONS.

4) During ORIENTATION is there an activity which concretely focuses on finding important places on campus?

THIS HAS BEEN 50/50.  WHEN LOOKING AT THE GORGEOUS TOURS ONLINE MAKE SURE YOUR STUDENT KNOWS WHERE TO GO WITH A SPRAINED ANKLE.


Oh yes, here is your bonus Naked Roommate Video!!















No comments:

Post a Comment